The Coherent Effects and Impedance (CEI) section provides expertise in the field of impedance computation and optimization, and multi-particle (collective) effects to study the coherent effects. The section is responsible for:
- Studies of the coherent effects limiting the performance of the present and future CERN accelerators (e.g. beam coupling impedance, space charge, beam-beam and electron cloud ) and of their mitigation
- Theoretical, simulation and experimental research in the dynamics of high-intensity and/or high-brightness hadron beams
- Impedance and beam-induced RF heating computations, measurements and follow-up
- Development and maintenance of software tools to study coherent multi-particle beam dynamics (e.g. PyHEADTAIL, PyECLOUD, etc.)
- Optics database, aperture models, and aperture checks for the PS and SPS complex.
The section contributes to machine coordination and beam physics support for commissioning and operation (e.g., parameter definition, strategy, measurement procedures) of CERN hadron synchrotrons. The section hosts the co-ordination of the machine studies of LHC injectors’ complex and of the LHC Injectors’ Upgrade (Deputy Project Leader).
Summary of impedance models of the CERN machines: https://impedance.web.cern.ch/impedance/MachineSummary.htm